Tuesday, August 23, 2011

As the World Turns....Hold On Tight!







OK, what's up with the Big Apple anyway? Have I been taking too many bites out of her lately? Let me explain: NYC weather is acting really grouchy and throwing temper tantrums. First off, I arrive a week ago on a Sunday afternoon just as it's raining cats and dogs wearing orange socks, and they said NYC got an unheard of 8" in record time. OK, then another storm hits on Friday night that scared the socks off me because the terrifying noise that thunder made bouncing off the brick buildings around my hotel. And today, an earthquake? Please! I couldn't believe the text I got from Texas:
"Did you feel the quake?" "What quake?" "In Virginia." "You mean the state of Virginia?" Silence.
Well, I'm sitting in a restaurant eating a late lunch and I ask a woman sitting across from me: "Excuse me but how far is Virginia from here?" "Well," she replied, I just happen to be from Richmond and I'd say it was 450 miles or so. Why?" "Seems there has been an earthquake in Virginia," I say. To make a long story short, she looks at me strangely like I was a charter member of the "Doubly Deranged" but then she says something about: 'I've had my phone turned off, but, oh, I see that I have several calls from home.' So she calls and sure enough, there WAS an earthquake in Virginia and now she's looking at me nicely and not screwing up her face anymore and she begins to relay what her husband is telling her....that he went running out of their house and stood there watching it sway, dishes and lamps crashing inside. Finally I get another text from Slow Fingers who says that Fox news is covering the story full time... "They are evacuating buildings in NYC and closing the JFK airport."
So now I'm thinking, "did I just fall down the rabbit hole and hit my head?" Well, by now you know the rest of the story and we can move on. Just as soon as I finish climbing out of this rabbit hole. However, just now a horrendous sounding siren went wailing past my hotel that I'll swear sounded like a cross between a machine gun and Waring blender on steroids. I've never heard anything like it!!
So, what would Audrey have to say about all this?






"The best thing to hold onto in life is each other."

Its true. Nothing else comforts quite like a warm hand holding yours or an arm around your shoulders. Not booze, not the Internet, or mashed potatoes with butter. So stay very close to those you love and forgive them quickly when they mess up. For you never know when that awful moment might come and you'll need a shoulder to snuggle up to while the world turns on it's axis or decides to cave in. We need each other on this swiftly tilting planet, so remember the things you learned in kindergarten: play nicely with each other; say please and thank you; share your toys and your cookies, and hold on to someone's hand when crossing the street.
Yes, hold on tight! And now, I'll say goodnight.
Love,
Anna
Oh my, look who I just saw running down the hall!....He said Hurricane Irene is on the way!!



Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:E 65th St,,United States

4 comments:

  1. dear dear miss anna i have faith and have been praying for u to be keep safe so what ever comes your way u will be safe and strong love you always B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anna Dear, Thank you for the kindergarden wisdom...it is so true! Enjoy your day because you never know what tomorrow may bring!
    Kisses,
    Tree Gal

    ReplyDelete
  3. i have been wishing that we here in the great state of Texas could get some much needed rain but nothing yet. i sure am praying we get some rain before u come back home. have a blessed rest of the week i will write later love ya B

    ReplyDelete
  4. where r your new blogs with how u are doing

    ReplyDelete