Monday, September 12, 2011

September 11, 2011




Please indulge me one more foray into the 9/11 remembrance pieces and then I will move on. I've got to, because I leave in three days.

My 9/11 Sunday morning began with The Cab Ride From Hell. I caught a cab right away on 3rd Ave. to meet my friends at St. Bartholomew' s Episcopal Church on Park Avenue. When I climbed into the cab, I noticed right off it was an older model, with LOTS of room between the driver and my seat, kinda like the old London cabs but not that nice, of course. After saying good morning, I said, "Please take me to St. Bart's Church...325 Park Avenue between 50th and 51st."
Silence. Dark brown eyes stared blankly at me in the rear view mirror. "What?" I finally said.
Then he said, "I new driver. You help me find, please?
Well, I should have bailed out right then, but being the thoroughly nice, patient person that I am, I said, "Well, sure. But you DO know where Park Avenue is, don't you?"
Silence. He then turns around and smiles, "You tell me, yes?"
So, thoroughly nice me gives directions and then sits back for the short ride. All of a sudden he slams on the brakes so as to not run a red light. I slip right off the seat, and my purse and I go sailing into the back of his seat. "Damn," I yelled, "did you just learn how to drive this morning or somethin'?"
Silence.
Brown eyes peered helplessly at me in the rear view mirror while I picked myself up along with the entire contents of my purse. Now, not-nearly-so-nice- me then told him to "Turn here on 50th...NOW!!!" which nearly put me back on my rear again he did it so quickly. Finally, we get to Lexington and there are police cars barricading the street and so I asked him to let me out there. I pay him and try to get out of the cab and the freaking door won't open! Expectedly, driver doesn't know how the door is SUPPOSED to open and I'm just about to lose it when finally, I manage to crack the code and push the right button and the door opens. Then,...and then...he starts driving off....with my right foot dangling outside the cab.!!!!!!
Let's just say that I screamed loud enough that he heard me and finally stopped. Just exactly what Thoroughly Nice Me said in parting shall not be recorded. What happens in NYC....well, you know the rest.

The barricades were there on the street because of a memorial ceremony going on at a fire house, and I arrived just as they were playing taps. This was sobering enough to 'sooth the savage breast,' and so I joined the assembled crowd to pay my respects to the fallen fire fighters. When it was over, I went inside, took some pictures and shook some hands.



Fire fighters are revered in this city.
Many of them from this same same fire house came on to the church service at St.Bart's. There was a special section set aside for them, but as the service began, the walls were lined with firemen in their dress blues, or whatever they call their Sunday best uniforms.




The church is beautiful, and so are my friends that brought me. This is Terry, who along with my friend Mary Jane, have squired me all around the city where they have lived for forty some odd years. We were sorority sisters and roommates at the University of Texas just a few years ago. More like 50, actually.




The church was packed and the service began with a full orchestra and choral group presenting a specially commissioned piece by composer David Conte entitled "September Sun." It was beautiful and poignant, as was the sermon brought by the Rector, Rev. William Tully. Afterwards, and with tears still on our cheeks, we spilled out of the church where we were met with an assemblage of fire fighters and two big red fire trucks parked in front.







Before I exit 9/11 altogether, I want to include a few pictures from an outdoor symphony presented by The New York Philharmonic that I attended in Lincoln Center the previous evening. Entitled, A Symphony For New York, the musicians played inside Avery Fisher Hall, and I and about 2,000 others sat in chairs outdoors on a perfectly beautiful evening listening to Gustave Mahler's Resurrection Symphony and watching the musicians and vocalists on a giant screen.








It was a magical evening and shall be one of the favorite things I have done while in NYC.

It's been an unbelievably busy week here in the city with events like The US Open, Fashion Week, and the many 9/11 ceremonies and tributes all going on at the same time.
The days of remembrance have left me thoughtful and spent. I am grateful there were no incidents and the terrorist threats came to naught.
Most of all, I am reminded of how proud I am to be an American. New York has shown the rest of us how, like the Phoenix, to rise up from the ashes. Thank you, New York. There's a mighty big heart here in the Big Apple.


Love,
Anna

my iPad

2 comments:

  1. i am glad u r ok after your cab ride please be careful we would like u back home safe see u soon

    ReplyDelete